The 90’s weren’t a cheerful time for everyone, and the Goth fashion provided those who weren’t buying into mainstream society a way to let people around them know just how disaffected they really were. Born out of the 80’s music movement, Goth style took a huge leap forward in the 1990’s thanks to the efforts of corporations to co-opt the rebellion and make a profit off of black clothes, black lipstick and many shades of eyeliner.
How can you suit up and take your place as a member of the Goth army? A proper Goth costume must contain a good mix of the following elements:
- Black hair or a black wig. In a pinch, you can substitute metallic red or dark purple.
- Dark lips – either black lipstick or very dark red.
- A black leather jacket with pinned on patches of your favorite Goth bands, like the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus or newer industrial favorites such as Nine In Nails or Ministry.
- Doc Marten boots, or any kind of tight-laced military-style boot.
- In terms of a top, you have a few options: a band t-shirt from any of the aforementioned groups, or Marilyn Manson works fine, but more elaborate Goth style can mean incorporating black lace dresses and blouses or even corsets.
- Finish things off with a black floor-length skirt, black cargo pants or black leather pants and you can’t go wrong.
Goth costumes are great because you can be really creative about putting together the entire ensemble. Don’t be worried about going over the top – Goth is not about subtlety – just throw caution to the wind and deck yourself out accordingly.
To help you pull together this great 90’s costume, we’ve provided links below to buy any of the key elements that you might be missing.